Ailments associated with the malfunctioning of the temporomandibular joint have become increasingly common. Persistent headaches like migraine, pain in the ear, tinnitus, reduced opening of the mouth, pain when chewing on hard foods, neck pain, atypical toothache, pain in the face, lip trembling, popping / clicking sounds when moving the jaw, increased muscle tone or dizziness are the most common complaints reported by patients with symptoms of the masticatory dysfunction. Bruxism, or grinding of teeth, is also linked to the above dysfunction.
Reasons that most often lead to disorders of the musculoskeletal system are:
- dental disorders: displacement of teeth, loss of contact points, partial loss of teeth, incorrectly made fillings or prosthetic treatment;
- disorders of the temporomandibular joint, among other things associated with abnormal activity of articular disc;
- injuries to temporo-mandibular joint, fracture of the mandible or maxilla (the main local cause of occlusal parafunctions);
- long-term habitual chewing on one side;
- psychological factors causing an increase in the intensity of certain habits, such as clenching or grinding of teeth, nail and hard object biting.
Due to the complexity of problems our patients report, diagnosis and treatment of TMD disorders are multidisciplinary proceedings requiring cooperation of specialists from different areas.
At Triclinium we adopted the following principles of diagnosis and treatment of TMD dysfunctions:
- thorough interview and examination of temporomandibular joints and muscles;
- registration of occlusal relationship (using a series of wax impressions), as well as of the position of the jaw in relation to the skull base;
- using different types of occlusal splints sometimes containing orthodontic elements whose role is to change the muscle reflexes;
- masticatory muscle exercises, physiological and physical therapy;
- supportive pharmacological treatment -if necessary;
- correction of occlusion, i.e. depending on indications: conservative, prosthetic, orthodontic or mixed treatment;
- educational therapy.
Speaking, biting, yawning, singing is always connected with the work of the temporomandibular joints. If, during these operations, you experience discomfort, you should consult your dentist. Quick diagnosis and treatment will let you regain joy in performing daily activities, eliminate chronic pain or persistent headaches. For more information on this issue, you can contact our clinic directly or by phone. You are always welcome.